Closure of Colemans and Fawcett bridges, Lismore from Sunday 16 September
Roads and Maritime Services will carry out load testing on Colemans Bridge and an inspection on Fawcett Bridge as part of the regular maintenance schedule for each structure. To carry out this work safely and with minimal impact on traffic, the bridges will be closed at times.
The work will be carried out from Sunday 16 September until Thursday 20 September. Our schedule for the bridge work is as follows:
- BridgeSunday 16 September – closed between 8am and 1pm to erect scaffolding for load testing
- Tuesday 18 September – Install gauges for load testing between 7am and 5pm (bridge open)
- Wednesday 19 September – Install gauges for load testing between 7am and 5pm (bridge open),
- Closed between 6pm Wednesday 19 September and 4am Thursday 20 September for load testing.
- Closed between 6pm Monday 17 September and 4am Tuesday 18 September for bridge inspection
- Closed between 6pm Tuesday 18 September and 4am Wednesday 19 September while gauges are removed from previous load testing.
We have included a map to show the location of the work and the detours while the bridges are closed.
What is bridge load testing?
A mobile bridge inspection unit will carry out the load testing on Colemans Bridge. Gauges and monitoring equipment will be installed on the bridge. A standard semi-trailer will then be driven over the bridge to obtain measurements for the load test.
Bridge load testing is essential to assist in determining the current load capacity of the structure. With increasing freight loads and increasing traffic volumes, it is important to monitor the structure’s performance over time.
The load testing comprises a “crawl” test at three loads plus “at speed tests”. These tests will be in the westbound lane, the eastbound lane and in the middle of the bridge to observe effects on the structure.
How will the work affect you?
Access to properties near the bridge will be maintained at all times during the work. Traffic control will be used as required.
Pedestrians will be able to use the walkway during the load testing work, but we will have a worker onsite to escort pedestrians safely across the bridge.
Bridge closures are listed above.
Detours will be in place, adding about five minutes to most journeys.
Motorists are advised to plan their journey, allow extra travel time and follow all traffic directions.
If you have any questions, please contact our Project Manager, Russell Leong on 0408 769 279 or email@example.com.
For more information on our projects, visit rms.nsw.gov.au. Thank you for your patience during this important work.