Massive funding boost for Local Councils
Local Councils are set to receive a massive funding boost for road and community projects.
Federal Member for Page Kevin Hogan said the package was fantastic news for our community.
“The Federal Government is establishing a new Local Road and Community Infrastructure Program,” Mr Hogan said.
“Councils will also receive their 2020-21 Financial Assistance Grant payment early.”
“This is a $28 million investment in our community. It is about supporting local jobs and businesses.”
“Importantly, this will also improve our local roads and provide for new and upgraded community assets.”
“Local road projects may include constructing or improving bridges, street lighting, and heavy vehicle facilities such as rest areas.”
“Community infrastructure projects could include new bicycle and walking paths, picnic shelters or barbeque facilities at parks.”
“I will be working closely with our Councils to make sure projects get under way as soon as possible.”
Through the new Local Road and Community Infrastructure Program, Councils will receive:
- Lismore City Council – $1,228,170
- Richmond Valley Council – $1,002,214
- Clarence Valley Council – $2,051,366
- Kyogle Council – $1,024,156
- Coffs Harbour City Council – $1,382,096
- Ballina Shire Council – $880,244
Through the 2020-21 Financial Assistance Grant, Councils will receive:
- Lismore City Council – $3,371,372
- Richmond Valley Council – $2,712,400
- Clarence Valley Council – $5,836,970
- Kyogle Council – $2,373,295
- Coffs Harbour City Council – $3,981,914
- Ballina Shire Council – $2,417,841
Local Road and Community Infrastructure Program funding will be available from 1 July 2020. 2020-21 Financial Assistance Grant funding will be available immediately, rather than being spread over the next 12 months.
Guidelines for the Program will be provided directly to local governments by the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications.
Allocations under the Financial Assistance Grant and Local Road and Community Infrastructure programs can be found at https://investment.infrastructure.gov.au/lrci.